Thursday, June 4, 2015

Hero Chat on BP

agetting (Queens): Who do you like more long-term? Tijaun Walker or Noah Syndergaard and why?

CJ Wittmann: Noah because of the bigger FB and he has progressed at every level. Once he gets adjusted, I like his long-term value more. That may take time but he'll get there. But I do like Walker's stuff a great deal.

I'm working through internet issues here. Bear with me for a little bit. Thanks!


agetting (Queens): Obviously Syndergaard has reached the majors before Matz. What is the likelihood Matz is better than Syndergaard?

CJ Wittmann: I don't have Matz rated high than Noah but I know some do. Is that because they really love Matz or they are low on Noah? I'm not sure but I am not one of them.


Steve (Philly): I haven't listened to the podcast yet. Who is your vote for the next Reynaldo Lopez? Also, has the hype around Reynaldo Lopez gotten even louder?

CJ Wittmann: Make sure you give that a listen. I really enjoy doing that and could not be more grateful. We are going to go deeper into pitching prospects so that's when I'll answer this but a guy I said could get some real steam was Luis Ortiz. And I think it will get louder once you see the consistency at higher levels. He is special.


Tommy (Atlanta): Hi CJ, Out of Jose Deleon, Reynaldo Lopez and Alex Reyes who would you prefer ?

CJ Wittmann: Alex Reyes. Lopez may have the biggest fastball but I would take Reyes' FB/CB future combo. OFP for Reyes would be the highest.


neph27 (The cmbl): I know you guys love you some Raimel Tapia. How concerning is approach (6BB in 183PA at high A) in determining the risk profile? I've heard he feasts on fastballs and not much else, is there any truth to this?

CJ Wittmann: I know Ryan Parker loves him. I think his overall approach needs refinement, sure. But that's not something out of the ordinary for a young kid reaching the upper minors.


Peter (Delaware): Tim Anderson - what do you think he has to show in the minors this year to get an everyday MLB job in 2016? Is it just the defense or are the lack of walks a serious concern?

CJ Wittmann: I think his speed really plays and he has shown easy power potential. I am not too concerned about his defense because I don't think he'll be a SS anyway and the hands are smooth. He could stay up the middle but I think his arm is a little light for the 5.5 hole. He's still a different kind of raw because he just started playing baseball later in HS. I think he'll refine the approach and ease into barreling spin more. They are aggressive and I think you could see in '16 if not sooner.


Pelecos (Chicago): The White Sox can't develop position players. How do they reverse the course? Is it a personnel issue and or an organizational philosophy?

Mauricio Rubio: This is an issue that came into sharp focus with Gordon Beckham but it's been there for awhile. You have to really think about the last position player the White Sox developed (it might go all the way back to Crede). This is an organizational thing in my estimation. Beckham is a shell of what he was teasing in college and the rush job they did with Beckham did him no favors. Reversing the course is a tough question but it likely involves re-evaluating how they instruct their players on the whole. I'm keeping tabs on Tim Anderson closely for this reason.


Rory Breaker (The Pub): In the minor league update, you mentioned Tim Anderson being polarizing. BP had him very highly ranked on the fantasy prospects list (much higher than other sources), and I used this info to purchase him in an auction draft. What kind of fantasy projection do you have for him, and what about him is so polarizing?

Mauricio Rubio: Anderson's particular profile is very abstract. He's very new to baseball so any of the positive signs or the red flags can be interpreted in extreme fashion. He's a tooled up player with 70 speed and the potential for solid average power. The SB's might come with 15-20 HRs depending on how well he hits.

I'm a big fan of the player.


fan (California): Time to sell Mark Appel?

Mauricio Rubio: In dynasty leagues? I think you're selling low with Appel so I'd probably hang onto him and hope he figures something out because it's been ugly so far this year.


Chris (Phoenix): Big question about Derek Fisher was his power and he wasn't able to tap into it in college. Has his profiled changed recently with a higher power projection or do the same questions exist and he's now in Cal league where the numbers are skewed?

Mauricio Rubio: I saw Fisher during Quad Cities trip to Kane County recently. The raw is there and he did put on an impressive show in game there as well but it's still a question he'll have to answer at AA. I was pretty impressed with his approach and ball tracking ability and the power is easy in BP, but it's pretty clear he was too advanced for the level and Cal League stats aren't going to clarify the issue all that much. I don't think he taps into his power all the way but there's potential for average to solid average pop.


AK (New York): How about Manny Margot? More of a good all around player, or superstar potential?

Mauricio Rubio: I think more of a solid all around player who can be very good in centerfield. Superstar is a step too far but he's a good player.


seddrah (seattle): Which young arm has biggest upside? Luis Ortiz, Reynaldo Lopez, Blake Snell, Luis Severino, or Yadier Alvarez?

Mauricio Rubio: I'll go with Tuck's boy Reynaldo here.


AJ (Phoenix): The day will not be complete with you saying Raimel Tapia... and maybe saying something about his future. Or his #rig.

Mauricio Rubio: That's my favorite name to say in baseball tons of swag. Mucho swagger


Max (Hartford): BREAKING: Joey Gallo is using Pony as his walk up song. On a far less important note, is Gilbert Lara going to make it past low-A this season? What are your expectations for him and his schedule for the next couple of seasons?

Mauricio Rubio: I know the Brewers are aggressive but I don't think Lara climbs past Low-A this year.


David (Idaho): Brad Zimmer: Potential 5-tool stud or college hitter who should be raking in high-A? Is he bound for Double-A before July?

Mauricio Rubio: 5-tool stud and it wouldn't surprise me if he's in AA before July at all.


ORWahoo (Tigard, OR): Re: Derek Fisher: Just before his final year began, he broke his hamate bone, which tends to impact power for a year or so. Also, UVa plays in a pitcher's park, from what I recall, so that could also have depressed his numbers.

Mauricio Rubio: Pretty important to keep in mind RE Fisher.


Mike (Oregon): At this point, what's Folty's realistic role in the MLB going to be?

Mauricio Rubio: If we're being realistic he's probably a 4 starter or a late inning reliever. If I had to bet I'll go in on Folty the starter but I'm the lonely guy on that ship.


Pat (Texas): What range would you rank these guys now compared to their preseason rank: Difo, D.J. Peterson, Alex Jackson, Fisher, Brad Zimmer, Hoffman, and Honeywell. Thank you!

Mauricio Rubio: Difo, Zimmer, Hoffman, Fisher and Honeywell all take jumps up. Peterson takes a hit and Alex Jackson's stock took a serious hit.


Stephen (Vermont): What's Gilbert Lara's best case scenario prime numbers? He seems like someone that could make his debut at 20 or under, right? Barely 17.

Mauricio Rubio: .265 with 25 HR's if it all works out. He's very young and there's a lot of room for development but the pitfalls are real as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment